Nicely done by Amanpreet Chander, PhD student of CBME. Stepper motor controlled by PC commands sent to Arduino through a virtual serial port.
We stimulated the radial nerve in lab by applying 100 V pulses of ms duration across the nerve.
Today we did a very interesting experiment on Cockroach leg samples to understand action potential. Cockroach leg was secured on a foam block using two electrodes. These two electrodes were placed across the Coxa such that there is significant amount of tissue gap between them.
Figure source: http://www.entomologa.ru/figures/22.htm
After this we stimulated the leg with a square wave generated from signal generator. Peak to peak voltage greater than 300 mV. We varied the frequency of stimulation first from 0.5 Hz to upto 10 Hz and back down to about 1 Hz. We could see the matching leg flip activity with each stimulated pulse.
We also tried to see the reverse effect where we acquired the action potential induced due to tapping at the leg. For this we removed the stimulation line and only acquired the signals from oscilloscope. So whenever there was a small tap on the end of the leg we could see a distinct induced potential on the scope.
We tried to understand discrete fourier transform by analyzing indian classical music in MATLAB.
In the BM605 lab this time we made a working three lead ECG on a breadboard. We used just two amplifier chips. One of them, AD620 which is an instrumentation amplifier with following pin configuration:
And the other our very own μA741
We had tried earlier to implement this circuit with instrumentation amplifier designed out of discrete ua741 Opamps but had failed to obtain ECG signals due to enormous powerline noise pickup by body. In the following schematic we use an integrated instrumentation amplifier chip AD620 to amplify the differential signal from across the heart (Terminals 1 and 2). But still we have powerline noise pickup as common mode signal on both terminals 1 and 2. We sense the common mode voltage and feed it back to the body after multiplying with a factor of -1. This almost entirely removes the powerline noise and all features of ECG, PQRST are clearly obtained.
Our M.Tech. student Nilesh made a simulation design of the circuit implemented in this experiment.
And here is the system in action. A surprisingly clear ECG was obtained on the scope! The whole experiment was successfully completed by all groups in just two hours.
Thanks to Piyush for saving the CSV file of the data and sharing it with all.
We had another very interesting experiment as part of our BM605 course. This time we designed a simple pulse-oximeter (more accurately a pulse-volume meter) on a breadboard. It was done by students in just a single two-hour lab session. Another interesting thing about this experiment was that it worked with just ambient lighting.
We used an LDR (Light dependent resistor) as the primary sensing element for this. The LDR went into a voltage divider circuit. The resistor connected with the LDR for voltage division was carefully chosen so as to have a value equal to that of LDR resistance during finger placement in ambient lighting. The output of this voltage divider was fed to a band pass filter with cutoffs set at 0.1 Hz and 100 Hz.In the above figure, R1 is the thevenin equivalent resistance of the voltage divider.
This is the output that was achieved by two of our students Samrat and Aman. They placed another inverting amplifier stage after the filter. The signal is clear enough to locate the dichrotic notch.
Great going guys. Keep it up!
We had an exciting experiment last week in our BM605 lab. Students were asked to make a thermometric cooler using reverse peltier effect. We could make ice-cold water within minutes.
A peltier module, a CPU cooling fan, peristaltic pump, alluminium cooling block and a few tubes were all that was needed to do this magic. A Peltier cooler is an important component of the Thermal Cycler (also known as a Thermocycler, PCR Machine or DNA Amplifier) that is used to amplify segments of DNA via the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR).
My car boot kept opening because of this bad key design by Honda! My pocket is typically full of keys and this bugger kept getting pressed while I am sitting oblivious in my office! When this happened almost everyday, I decided to apply this Indian jugaad technology to fix it. An aluminium strip and a glue gun was all that it took. Fortunately, I could find a strip with a small hole. So the button can actually be used when required 🙂